Simple words. Nothing so wise.
She lifted up her head and for the first time looked at me. “Yes, she replied. It has been a long day. I’m presently going through something that has me really worried and I’m not sleeping very well…”
Without missing a beat, I put my hand on her arm and replied, “I’m so sorry you’re having a hard time right now. It’s not always easy, is it?” She looked at me and with eyes full of tears said, “No… thanks for caring.” Then, she smiled at me.
As I left the store, I looked back and there she stood chatting with a new customer. Her posture had changed and she was standing tall. Something had changed.
There’s a song that hints about how we’ll never know the impact we’ve had in people’s lives, this side of heaven.
How one day, we’ll stand in the presence of our Savior when SUDDENLY!
An army of people will come to meet us…
- You smiled at me that day I was discouraged. I left with a kick in my step. Thank you.
- Words of hope on that card you sent, arrived for me the day I couldn’t get out of bed. Thank you.
- The encouraging words you gave me at church on that small piece of paper were just what I needed to hear when my daughter was sick. Thank you.
- I listened to that song you shared. “This too shall pass,” it said. Thank you.
- I smiled when you called to congratulate us on our new puppy. Thank you.
- I used that 20$ to buy school lunches for my little boys. Thank you.
- I never forgot the day my baby was sick & you drove us to the hospital. You even paid the gas. Thank you.
- My friend shared a letter you wrote her on keeping your head up in troubled times. It lifted me. Thank you.
- I heard the conversation when you had with your daughter about Jesus at the restaurant. It peaked my interest in God. Thank you.
- I saw you when you paid for my lunch that day I left my wallet at home. Thank you.
- I never told you I wanted to end my life that night you called at 12 am because you had me on your heart. Thank you for calling me.
- At my husband’s funeral, you took me in your arms and just cried with me. I knew you loved me. Thank you.
- At Christmas, my kids always had gifts. I knew you were the Santa who left those packages. Thank you.
- While everyone was busy chatting away, you saw me on the sidelines by myself. I was so shy! Thank you for spending time with me.
- When I broke my leg, you were always there for me. Thank you.
- You gave me your beautiful purse… just because I admired it. Thank you.
- Every day for 1 month, you came and prayed with me when I didn’t have the strength to do it myself. Thank you.
- You knew my family didn’t have anything to eat that night you brought over that casserole & cookies. Thank you.
That day at the bank was an “Ah Ha!” moment for me. I got it. And I’ve been noticing people ever since. You see, we learn stuff all the time. That’s knowledge. The real learning comes from the doing. In ACTIONS. That’s where the blessings and rewards come from. That’s where the wonders begins.
I EXHORT YOU TODAY TO BE AN ENCOURAGER & MOTIVATOR
- Look people in the eye.
- Give a gentle touch.
- Take time to give a hug.
- A bright smile.
- A listening ear.
Don’t be like the masses who throw a “how are you, today?” at you, then keep on going without waiting for your answer. I’ve had those…
Your life will be enriched when YOU reach out and touch someone. Today.
Smiles Prepare You to See Blessings.
NO ONE NEEDS A SMILE MORE THAN THE PERSON INCAPABLE OF GIVING ONE.