How Do We Renew Our Mind?
“God gave the way for us to be changed from the inside out by His written Word. He demands obedience and application in the way we see life, work, relationships – everything.”
The Word of God allows us to approach life in a way that pleases Him; Renewing the mind brings our will into agreement with the Father’s will. As we occupy our mind with His Word by reading, memorizing, praying & singing, His ways become our ways & we start having the mind of Christ.
In times of difficulties, now we can see through the eyes of God’s Word.
This I say & testify in the Lord: you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind. Ephesians 4:17
THAT New Perspective CHANGES Everything
Living in the freedom of God’s Word is key to deliverance and success from bondage. It’s important to align your mind with God’s perspective about:
- Relationships, Connections
- Marriage, Finances
- Ministry, Career
- Children, Health, Other…
Called to a Living Sacrifice & Holiness
Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
When you stop justifying sinful activities and old habits by changing your mind, God will change your heart.
- A changed heart always leads to a changed life.
- The main difference between Christians and non-Christians – is in the way they think.
THAT’S WHAT THE WORD REPENT MEANS: TO HAVE A CHANGE OF MIND.
When you repent, really recognize your sins… Jesus comes in as Lord and Savior with the new birth and nature. In other words – a new heart. Which ‘heart’ (the old or the new) control your life from then on, depends on how you think. Solomon said, “as a man thinks in his heart—so is he!” That is why Christians are commanded to stop thinking like the world and start thinking like the redeemed children of God.
You’re not what you think, feel or say. You’re what you DO. Actions speak louder than words. Take a strong look at what you’re doing because change is what moves you forward.
- Choose actions to bring you closer to where you want to go.
- Begin with small action steps and the behavior will follow.
- Step up and prepare to see wonderful things happen.
What’s Holding You Back Is WHO You THINK YOU’RE NOT.
You’re a lot more comfortable with what you know than what you don’t. You’ll have to let go of some comfort if you want to change.
So What’s Going On??
“Be of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8
Take Every Thought Captive
“You cannot keep birds from flying over your head but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair.” Martin Luther
You’re Not To Behave Like The World Around You.
The key to success, says Paul, is to be transformed. “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2 Transformation is a profound Spirit change from the inside out.
- Peter describes the issues of the mind in 1 Peter 1:13–14, “With minds alert and sober… as obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.”
- There is willful suppression of God’s truth (Romans 1:18) – AND it makes us slaves to passions & desires that would lose their power if we knew God as we could/should. (1 Thessalonians 4:5).
- Lose the former ignorance. (Ephesians 4:22). “Put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires.”
These Destructive Desires Get Their Life & Power From the Deceit in Our Minds.
Knowledge of God + Renewal of Mind = Transformation & Liberation From Sinful Passions.
Ephesians 4:17–18 says, “You must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.”
The Spirit is the one who renews the mind: it’s completely HIS work.
We mentally suppress the liberating truth firmly rooted in the darkness of our heart. When our hard hearts won’t submit to Christ, our minds cannot see the power in Christ because it is blinded. (John 7:17).
What Are We To Do?
Pursue Christ’s exalting truth and pray for truth-embracing humility.
- Listen to rich expositions of the “gospel of Christ.”
- Read your Bible from cover to cover always in search of revelation.
- Read and ponder the writings of spiritual men and women saturated in the Word, exalting Christ.
- Form the habit of meditating on the works of Christ.
- Continuously pray that the Holy Spirit renews your mind, so you desire the will of God. so that your life becomes a worship song that is music to God’s ears.